Winter descended long ago, and memories of cooling summer desserts shimmer in the distant heat haze. Poetic interlude aside, my way of dealing with that is to meet it head-on and embrace the frost! So ahead of Christmas, here’s my seasonally-on-point, festive Scandinavian-inspired Skyr dessert recipe! It uses generous dollops of a thick, luxuriant Icelandic all-natural dairy product called Skyr, a delish fat-free version of which Lidl have just launched! They asked me to come up with a healthy dessert recipe to put it through its paces, and this one just created itself; it’s so quick and easy to make, but offers up a whole lot of satisfying flavor, whilst making use of just 4 key ingredients! The Scandi and festive touches are lent to this dish by way of the cinnamon, pecans, and cranberries which also add a delicious textural crunch-and-chew! Click MORE to get the full delicious recipe…
I’m using Skyr, a super-dense, creamy-textured dairy product. It takes about three to four times more milk to produce one can of Skyr than one equivalent amount of normal yogurt. The texture is incomparable; it’s far more dense, such that I’d liken it to the difference between single cream and double cream (but without the fattening drawbacks as it’s fat-free!). That makes it very high in protein whilst still being low in sugar, which to my mind renders this a great, versatile breakfast / snack that can be mixed with so many different ingredients and flavors to create a great dish. What I really love about this is the affordability; I often receive emails about the high cost of health staples like quinoa and nuts, but Lidl’s Skyr pots (150g) cost £0.49, which reinforces my message that healthy eating needn’t cost the world, and is very much accessible. They also stock the likes of organic coconut oil and manuka honey, so this isn’t a one hit wonder 🙂
- Turn on the oven to 200 degrees.
- Evenly cover the pecans in cinnamon and honey.
- Pop them on a tray (on baking paper/ foil).
- Roast in the oven until lightly golden for circa 2-5 minutes.
- Keep an eye on them as they burn easily.
- Once done set aside and let cool off slight.
- Pop the Skyr and frozen berries in a mixer and blend until you achieve a smooth, whippy consistency. Serve instantly and pop the cranberries and hot pecans on top.
- Pro tip: If the Skyr isn’t quite cold enough pop it in the freezer for an hour, then blend again!
Serve in a tumbler and garnish with a little extra cinnamon, or perhaps some cardamom and nutmeg for extra festive appeal! Enjoy!!!