I absolutely adore travelling (as you might have guessed from this blog’s bursting ‘Travels’ section!), especially as we edge ever-closer to the Summer Holiday season! In chasing this semi-nomadic dream of travel, I’ve picked up a few tips-and-tricks around how to stay healthy when travelling, and thought I’d share them with you here alongside some of my travel essentials which will be accompanying me on my journeys during Summer 2015! Click MORE to see it all…
FIRST, SOME TIPS
A) COME PREPARED FOR THE BEACH!
When you arrive at your destination, your swimwear is likely the first thing you’ll want to use, so pack it in hand luggage! Rather than waiting for your baggage to be taken up to your room you can throw it on instantly and unwind by the pool. Sometimes your room isn’t ready in which case it’s logistical hassle having to unpack the suitcase and change elsewhere! Finally, worst case scenario, if your bag gets lost, at least you have your bikini, which can just *make* the holiday 😀 !
Pack your clothes on thin wire hangers – the dry cleaner’s ones are ideal! By including them in your case, with your clothes attached, you just hang them up instantly upon arrival, and can leave them behind when you just want to stuff your clothes back in the suitcase for the unwelcome return leg of the journey!
C) PRE TAN
Arriving at the destination as white as a sheep isn’t optimal. I like my Vita Liberata tan as it’s organic, smells good, and leaves a *brown* tan. See below…
D) PLUG IT OUT!
Earplugs – an absolute essential. You just never know what your hotel’s philosophy on ‘soundproofing’ is going to be like, or indeed how energetic your neighbours will be! These two yellow buds can literally be the difference between a relaxing break and a nightmare trip! I find there’s nothing better than these!
E) SAILORS LEGS
Bringing some travel-sickness pills is a guarantee that you can enjoy an outing and avoid being sat on the back of a boat, staring at the horizon as you’re sick, whilst on a romantic scuba diving trip (been there!).
F) THIRST QUENCHER
Whatever you do stay hydrated! Keep filling your BRITA Fill&Go – on the plane, by the pool, going to a market or a beach etc! Recirculated airplane air is massively dehydrating, and when you’re already low on water, you’ll feel even hungrier as your body believes that it needs something – anything! Planning ahead can help you beat this one, and drinking good water can help your body feel far better!
G) SNACKING SMARTER
Unhealthy travel food can seem irresistible; you’re on holiday for an indulgent time… but striking a balance is important too. For that reason, I like to bring my own snacks – that way I can control the content – think along the lines of nuts, seeds, and fruit – at least until you get to your detstination and can then enjoy a serious meal!
G) PORTABLE PHONE JUICE
My life is on my phone and if my phone ever runs out of juice, I’m totally lost! This portable charger allows me to rest safe in the knowledge that I’m safe and it lets me browse endlessly online
H) DOWNLOAD BEFORE
Before take of download anything you want to read or watch – the news, a movie, games etc!
NOW, THE FOT TRAVEL CHECKLIST:
– SUNGLASSES – A bit like shoes, in that a girl can never have too many pairs! Oversized sunglasses continue to dominate my top drawer, as do unique shapes and coloured lenses. I personally love these oversized Taylor Morris Invidia frames with these subtly gold-mirrored lenses, and havana/amber combo frames – very sporty-chic, in that they’re as appropriate for your beach-front run as they are for your hotel breakfast!
– SCARF – on holiday this becomes the most versatile piece of material – it shields against the sun, can be worn as a makeshift-kaftan to lounge round the pool/beach, and, crucially, it cocoons you in a bundle of warmth amidst the aircraft’s chilly air conditioning!
– HAT – A key travel essential, to celebrate the occasion of going abroad! For me, it really marks the moment, because it’s not every day that you just throw on a wide-brimmed hat! This one’s a favourite from Top Shop!
– SPRAY TAN & SPF – whilst it’s strongly possible that you’ll pick up some colour on holiday, to avoid that spectre-chic look for the first few days (especially if it’s just a weekend getaway) I typically like to use a pre-tan product to nourish my skin and give it some bronzed gloss beforehand. I’m particularly fond of this gorgeous Vita Liberata product, which is organic, plant-based, non-toxic, and I accompany it with a complementary line of SPF when I’m at my destination, which will protect you nicely against the strong UV radiation (often found anywhere-but-London!). If you want to pick some up, the company have very kindly extended a 25%-off code to readers: just enter FITNESS25 on checkout!
– BIKINI & SWIMSUIT: If you’re anything like me and are jumping around on the beach, snorkelling, swimming etc, a full swimsuit is appropriate ensuring you don’t accidentally show a bit too much when diving into the pool! I’m in love with this adorable pastel blue number from Melissa Odabash, snuggled in the middle of my suitcase in the full shot above.
– BRITA Fill&Go – a great way to filter water on the fly, to ensure you stay well hydrated! I’ve featured it previously in my BENEFITS OF HYDRATION video as part of the company’s #BetterwithBRITA campaign. Still makes its way into my suitcase every time!
– LOUNGE WEAR – Tucked away in my suitcase is a look from Calvin Klein to just slouch around the room, for the more casual moments which often present themselves on holiday! The clothes, from the #MyCalvins Denim Series, double as a workout look too, which is handy if you’re short on space in your suitcase!
– SPORTS WEAR – I picked up a gorgeous blue active look from H&M (call me a Swedish patriot!) – a stylised, marine-tinged look, totally appropriate for my South of France trip, and boasting super-functional materials too. Also, I am in love with the new Monreal London collection right now, featuring a bit more of a crossover, gym-ready aesthetic – plus *that towel*!
– METALLIC TATTOOS – Exquisite summer accessories that don’t cost a fortune but act as beautiful accessories for a trip abroad! I picked up a couple of sheets from Bohemian Jewellery for my trip.
– A GOOD READ – Vogue is always the answer, whatever may be the question…!
– ESPADRILLES – My treasured pair of blue suede Chanel espadrilles from the 2015 cruise collection are ideal for some beach lounging and I’m utterly obsessed with that divine colour – they just scream ‘holiday’, and are so out-of-the-ordinary!
– LINGERIE – A sexy little something….A set of my Triumph, perhaps?
Happy travels 🙂 xx
I WAS WEARING: