Happy May Day! To ‘celebrate’ (?!), here’s my recipe for a super-healthy – and still very tasty – ‘Baked Lemon & Ginger Cod with Asparagus, on Watercress ‘. The cod has a waistline-busting 82 calories per 100g, is low in carbs (a slimming 0%), and has only 1g fat per 100g! It’s also a wonderful source of natural protein (18g per 100g), and you won’t have to spend hours in the kitchen before it lands on your plate! Aside from the oven-time (takes c.20 mins to bake – during which you can be doing press-ups or something), it only takes 5 mins to prepare. Cod also offers plenty of other nutrients that are vital for good health, one being the blood-thinning omega-3 fatty acids, which are vital for brain function and cardiovascular health, and which have been shown to soothe dry skin and improve circulation. Cod also contains vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 which help reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. It’s a great source of Vitamin D which is needed for healthy skin and bones. Also, the oils in cod have anti-inflammatory properties, which can benefit athletes with joint problems. If you’re not already eating fish consider introducing it on a regular basis to maintain a healthier and happier body! Just remember – boil or bake, & try to avoid the frying pan!
The remaining ingredients in my picture above are fresh green asparagus (also anti -inflammatory, with antioxidants and vitamin C for an immunie-boost) and organic watercress (bursting in vitamin C and E for immune health, calcium for bone strength, and iron for blood-oxygenation & energy).
2 x 400 gram cod fillets
1 x tablespoon of olive oil
8 x fresh green asparagus
12 x baby tomatoes
Ground black pepper
Fresh ginger root
1 x lemon & its juice
1. Within a parcel of aluminium foil, pour olive oil and lemon juice on the Cod fillet and rub it evenly over the fish.
2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Bake the cod in the oven on c. 200 degrees for c 15-20 minutes, with the ginger root placed within small slits in the fish fillet.
3. Boil the asparagus separately. Cool and drain.
4. Season the tomatoes with pepper and a little olive oil.
5. Cut the asparagus into small pieces and spread asparagus and cherry tomatoes over the cod.
6. Enjoy! Faya x